March 03, 2005

Untitled

I went and saw a play tonight with Josie and Sarah. It was Sarah's idea. I think it was a fringe one called Stomping Grounds playing at the Bats. It was about the experiences of young refugees living in New Zealand, and cultures colliding and well, racism I guess. There were some very simple, powerful scenes. Some of it I found a bit disturbing. Some of it was that cliched kind of characters freeze, dim the lights, and then play some voiceover. But I think there may have been some anecdotal stories of real people. I should really find out more about it. my favourite part was when this little currant-coloured sprite of a girl with beautiful frizzy hair who had been sitting in the audience came back into the tiny theatre and saw a photo on an OHP at the back of the stage that was part of the production, froze and called out,
"Hey, that's my mum".
I like how real people are. Or can be.
I also liked how at the beginning we were all lined up waiting to go into the theatre and the actors were milling about pretending to be reporters in wartorn countries and creating a bit of tension.
And there were some cute actors.
In other breaking news I have tickets booked to walk the Abel Tasman. I am excited and nervous because I am going with a new group of girls and I think the dynamics are a bit unpredictable. Anyway, I am slowly going to work my way up to the Himilayas. Well, something like that.
I haven't written because I haven't felt like writing. I don't know why. I have been at an uncharacteristic moment where the scales are relatively balanced, but I'm quite tired and hormonally influenced today, (I keep seeing little babies and feel like I'm losing my stomach) so maybe the calm won't last. I think I rather prefer the highs and lows to be honest.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:46 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Hmmm, this is weird, I don't know either of you people. Pseudonyms are annoying.
    Yes, Girr, Mr Supergood thought I had given up on my blog, which I technically should, as I am nolonger a pixie ): Technical point. I'll ignore it.

    And the dynamics are unpredictable Solost, because not all of the female population are as easy going, low maintenance and happy with their independence as me. Yeah!

     
  • At 11:25 am, Blogger Jessie said…

    Ooh, the Abel Tasman. Sounds great! Will you spend some time with the group before going to see what everyone's like?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home