January 25, 2005

Dr Firecracker

I had an interview with a Dr at work today. I'd checked with Management last week if I could go and meet her at the airport because she was flying into Wellington especially for it, and she's in a wheelchair and 66 years old. Anyway, she'd been a bit of a character to talk to on the phone, and had been exceedingly appreciative of what I had done for her up to that point, well I guess she just charmed the pants off of me really. (Been a bit susceptible to that lately) I think it was when she was telling me about how the job opportunity had come up, and she got on a bit of a roll, and somewhere in the midst of it she graciously dropped in,

"...and I'm in a wheelchair, and I almost fell out of it when they offered me the job..."

So I got the sign off to conduct the interview at the airport, but ofcourse when I ran it past her she wouldn't have a bar of it. She was coming all this way and there was some marine reserve or something she wanted to check out near the airport. So she made it in to the CBD and the thirteenth floor of my building, impeccable timing ofcourse, and I spent almost three quarters of an hour just enchanted by her outlook on life. She has lived 2/3 of a century and has been confined to a chair from a degenerative illness since she was 50, and she'd honestly run rings around most of the people my age. I told her that later too, in an email which I haven't had a response to as yet, which I suppose is kind of kiss-assy. But she's invited me to her place to check out the house she's having built, and given me some bloody good advice on matters such as travel, how to get my pinky back up and running and just generally reinforced to me that outlook is 9/10ths of getting on in life, even when it sucks shit.

Man she was cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home