August 16, 2005

Peace

I'm so sleepy.

But I love this.

I love how I wake up and the world is still recumbent. I love how the sun rises before me beyond my window.








And then erupts across the harbour.




I love how on a really sunny day, I come down from Kelburn on the walk to work and the city is an iridescent palette and Oriental Bay is awash with brilliant pure light.
















I feel giddy witnessing Winter finally fall to its knees beneath the weighty optimism of spring.









But I realised recently that this leg of my journey to work has become my favourite. With it's spray paint and mesh wire and broken windows and those stairs ascending out of sight beyond the path that was littered with leaves throughout the colder months. Perhaps I have become more of an urban creature than I had appreciated.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:10 am, Blogger David said…

    For reasons of climate I sleep right by an open sliding door. The rising sun shines right through the door. I tend to wake up when I feel a bit of a sunburn starting.

    It can be a real problem at weekends when I could do with sleepig in. But the sun is up... it's hot... you either burn, or you have breakfast.

    The steps aren't the ones running from the Terrace intersection with Salamanca Rd down to Boulcott St? I've been up and down that a few times.

     
  • At 2:46 pm, Blogger Cece Martinez said…

    Sounds dreamy...

     
  • At 6:54 pm, Blogger Lavinia said…

    Wow its gorgeous, not wonder Lord of the Rings was shot in New Zealand.

    Sadly, my only digicam is my camphone, which I abuse prolifically.

    Keep taking those pics..you know those moments come by only once. Not once in a lifetime by once as in Ever. The way the light falls on things, temperature, your own interpretation of them etc will only be that way for that one moment and never again arrange themselves thus.

    It's just amazing!

    Hey can I put a link to your blog in my sidebar?

     
  • At 10:22 pm, Blogger Jessie said…

    Nice Welly shots :) Good to see it's still there. Think I might have to figure out a reason to visit before long.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home