August 06, 2005

Is that all you got Winter?

I've got good circulation I think, don't really feel the cold so bad (my acupuncturist described it as being a warm person, which was nice) but I love Summer. We had the third warmest July since 1860 (I think, when they started taking accurate record) with an average temp of 9 degrees. But it's the lack of wind that has got me reeling. So on days like today when it's completely clear and sunny you feel the warmth instead of having it snuffed out by a disdainful Southerly. We moved into our flat almost exactly a year ago and I can remember it being freezing (the ventilation in these old homes is pretty swell) and the constant storms howling and rattling outside our lounge window (we're right on top of a hill). And I seem to remember losing about 40 tiles off of our roof at some stage. Huddling under a blanket watching the tellie the noise would make me flinch, (it's not hard admittedly) and at any moment I imagined the ocean would come crashing in from behind the curtains. It was THAT loud.

I've had 9 hours sleep and woken up in a clean room with the sun caressing me. I was utterly exhausted last night after work, did some domestic stuff, had a couple of beers for dinner and went to bed. The proverbial shit is hitting the fan due to my boss' detachment from reality. But I don't feel like discussing it right now, it's my weekend. I will just say that I have been in a grown up job for a year on Monday and I have been shocked with how anything but grown up it is. Office politics are like being back at high school with a bunch of bitchy teenage girls.

So the weather. I'm thinking it's time to dig out the snorkel and just have it sitting there winking at me for a month or so. Well my last swim last season was down at Oriental Bay some time in May, and if it stays like this and with a wetsuit on....Bear's daffodils are coming out, my Christmas Lily is taking off, I fed the ducks down at the Lagoon on my lunch break on Thursday and felt hot, I left home at 6:45am yesterday morming and there was light in the sky so I felt safe enough to cut down the alley instead of taking the long way round past the University, and walked home at about six last night with the sky my favourite colour. It brought tears to my eyes. Spring is sprung baby!

The pics are various morning views from our little flat. I still don't really know what I'm doing with my camera or the software....But I remember reading somewhere that those rays of sunlight through the clouds are like God's fingertips, and liking the imagery a lot.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:56 pm, Blogger Cece Martinez said…

    Actually it sounds really beautiful to have that kind of vibrant nature right outside your door.
    I live in a desert wasteland.

     
  • At 5:54 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    But at least the people are pretty colourful and vibrant where you are.

     
  • At 6:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cece... move?
    Pix... Spectacular view.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home