June 10, 2005

Finishing point/breaking point

I had an argument with the Registrar at drinks after work over the validity of the Power of Now. Which is quite ironic seeing as I have been failing to put it in to practise myself the last couple of days. I don't know why her and I always bump heads, (well I appreciate the headband comment was a bit out of line but I was boozed). I actually think she is really smart and funky and stroppy, admirable qualities in a woman. But she always provokes me at these get togethers. Or maybe I provoke her. Either way eventually it boils down to her and I ranting on and everyone else sitting back looking bemused and trying to enjoy their sauv blanc.

So we had another leaving, this one I was actually genuinely sad about. To mark the departure we had a breakfast yesterday morning at Nikau just within my team. I quite liked the venue, and the patterns on the tops of the coffees and the punctuality, it was nice to get some decent service after the debacle at Flying Burrito Brothers the previous evening, it is the height of rudeness when you ring a restaurant to complain to the Manager about insolent staff (the waiter told me to do some exercises to warm up!) and go straight to a machine. Then we had an impromptu morning tea for her this morning, then a lunch, then I went shopping to find her present, then we had to stop for drinks at 4:30. That is an awful lot of goodbyes. And an awful lack of productivity. Maybe it's why i'm in a better state of mind tonight. Because although I received high praise for my Papers, that are basically finished thank god, all that diverted energy meant something had to give.

Today I realised that if you fail to meet everyones demands and occasionally say, "no that isn't feasible" rather than taking on ownership of every other mongrels problems, there more than likely won't be any splintering consequences. Perhaps for peace of mind I'll let things slide a bit more regularly.

My plans for the weekend are to sleep, do washing, tidy my room, tidy the house a bit, listen to the new U2 CD, sleep a bit more, read, maybe pluck my eyebrows, get some fresh air, go back to sleep. I have a dinner date tomorrow night at a restaurant where I have historically left hungrier than when I arrived and on Sunday a dessert party for Miss B and I think I will make ambrosia. Right now I could have a spew, stomach has been seedy all week....

This morning I walked to work all red in the face from my first trip to the gym since Monday and had my new jacket and a coat and my mittens on and I got to the traffic lights at the corner of Willis and Manners where the green man lights up and the pedestrians scatter simultaneously from all four corners like marbles breaking and this old witchy woman who was collecting for the St Vincent de Paul Society literally leapt with both feet straight into my path and shook her bucket under my nose. I fumbled around with my mittens, gave her some money for that leap and then tried to slink off as she attempted to engage me in a conversation about immunising children against meningicoccal disease. I think she asked if I would immunise. I said, 'oh yeah'. Then she asked where I worked and I pointed up at the crest of my building and told her and she said "Oh that sounds like a good job to have".

It's not the finishing point, but the act of travelling which is important.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home