June 07, 2005

The bastards!

Just when I resign myself to the fact, well, that I'm going to resign, they go and tell us this morning that we're getting a salary increase. 5% - but 5% is 5%, yeah. I feel some shoes might be in order. Boots, heel-less and calf high and not in the slightest bit fuck me. Actually I can't be bothered thinking about shopping. June is the birthday month, four already in the first week. And I should really be looking for a new job, not thinking how I am going to spend my raise.

Speaking of a new job, I have lovely friends. I got in the door, had some strawberry cheesecake yoghurt for dinner (my stomach's kindof seedy) and the strawberry haired friend (who turns the ripe ole age of 24 tomorrow) handed me a book she had got out of the library for me. "The career guide for creative and unconventional people." I wouldn't immediately have categorised myself as such, but I'm intrigued. Perhaps 'wobbler' translates to unconventional. I'm definitely a wobbler. In the interim, with the job thing, until I do sort something out, I'm going to stop complaining about it. I'm over my quarter life crisis as of today after reading in a magazine at the gym this morning that mid-twenties crises are going to be one of the 'in' things to be doing this season. Are you fucking joking me? Who writes that shit?

Hmmm, what was I talking about....oh yeah nice friends. the psychologist got back from the States today and she bought me these crazy jackpot dice from Las Vegas, some pink and white breast cancer M&Ms, and some Christian Dior "hypnotic poison" from duty free. I smell like delicious vanilla right now. Reminds me of mum.

Oh - the rest of the weekend, Joe's psych test on me was fun. Apparently I played an eleven year old really convincingly. I managed to do all the mathsy ones (some of them were bloody hard) but he gave me a whole lotta puzzles to do that got increasingly more difficult, but it was the first one that kind of threw me. It was one of a girl, with her body in five parts, and when I'd finished there was something not quite right.

"Man, they've given her funny legs, look she's all pigeon toed" (Me)

Then Joe, who I just adore, he's the sweetest thing, very gently leaned over and switched them around and said, "I think they might go this way".

I nearly pissed myself laughing.

The Hat party Sunday night was a blast. They had a whole chest of hats, and I got plonked with a big red and black jester/harlequin monstrosity when I walked in the door, but later I switched to this little salmon pink number that had a Roaring Twenties ring to it. It suited my hair, which is all cropped and highlighted again. (Two hours at the hairdressers on Saturday and the downpayment for a house later). I wanted to take that hat home. I shoulda taken it home.........Apart from the usual saturation of lawyers that you get up at their gigs it was pretty sweet. I even met a real life making-a-living-off-of-it writer.

Next day I went for a short hike at Catchpoole Valley, at the base of the Rimutakas, about 45 minutes drive out of Wellie. Very boggy because of the rain, and we had to wade through the stream to get to the Orongaronga track because the bridge had been washed out, but it's got me intrigued about the potential for more strenuous hiking right here in the wider Wellington region...Maybe a car wouldn't be such a bad thing.....

3 Comments:

  • At 3:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dammit bridie i was writing away at your email shamelessly in school cuz nobody can read english anyway, when i had to stop because i realised that i´d written someone´s name... which doesn´t translate. Ya know? so might have to wait

     
  • At 7:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No... she should drive it to the States, and then to Chile.
    .g

     
  • At 8:49 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Write me a real letter gurl!

    And i've decided i'm not going anywhere at the minute. Just gotta take charge of the situation....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home