May 25, 2005

Saffron

Saffron would cost $14,000 NZ dollars for a kilo. I think that is what we worked out tonight.

What I used tonight in the Paella, just a pinch of Saffron threads, is the dried stigmas of the saffron flower, hand picked from each flower with 75,000 flowers producing just one pound of Saffron threads. But it's pretty strong stuff. That and the chorizo and jimmy's cheffing skills, and it was the best paella I've had since the first time I ever had it, on Waiheke Island at one of Mark's work functions, and that one was just jam packed full of shell fish and was free, so it had a bit of an advantage. I'm excited about how one tiny, very expensive, ingredient can add this sudden charism and intensity to a meal you have made plenty of times before. It inspired me to transfer the other spices I had from their bags and packets to the set we got for a Christmas present from his mother a couple of Christmas' ago. shit maybe three Christmas' ago. I was going to chuck it, but I still use heaps of other shit that I could get rid of for the same reason. My snorkel. My CD tower. I can't wear the jewellery, but I'm too scared to wear jewellery mum gave me, I'm funny like that. Anyway I'm feeling inspired by the Saffron and feel the need to cook a lot of fussy kitchen-demolishing meals in the next week, especially with tomato!

I'm excited about this weekend and it's only Wednesday. But that's only two working days to go.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:40 am, Blogger Pix said…

    Oh don't you start on my ass small-fry. Go back to your taking over the world.

    That's quite funny bout your mark, cause part of my thing I wrote that I got good feedback on was "Kelly does not like mushrooms, melodrama or mediocrity". I think you still don't like mushrooms....

    Oh okay, I'll change it to Lou......or soon to be Auckland sister.

     
  • At 7:27 am, Blogger Pix said…

    Chile-sista - please refer to email

     

Post a Comment

<< Home