April 23, 2005

Why are there so many?

In my 25 years I have never seen a rainbow as vibrant and with colours so dramatically distinct as the one that is currently arching over Wellington Harbour outside my bedroom window. I have no great hopes to see one like it again. Its shadow is almost as vivid as any primary rainbow I have seen. It is making the houses and hills and Harbour seem pallid and lifeless in comparison.

So I'm in a pansy ass writing mood and could meander on about getting up on to our deck and noting how strange the sky was, trying to be both dark and light at the same time, and then turning to look in the other direction and being stunned (sharp inhalation) and then feeling, well heartbroken, just looking at this rainbow. And hearing someone from next door call "look at it" (presumably not at me) and standing selfishly for a long moment before running inside shrieking to the others to come look. Oh I have had my back to the rainbow (it's such a silly word to repeat over and over....rain.....bow) for five minutes, just turned to look out the window again and it's vanished into a smokey violet twilight. Morose sky. I'd be sombre too if I had possessed something that beautiful and been careless enough to let it get away.

I have been out adventuring again today at the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. Sherpa Burdon and Sherpa Henderson. Made it all the way to the Wind Turbine. And I have fallen in love with a Tautauwai. I want him to have his own story though. Maybe. Maybe not for the blog.

I got home and did some gardening in the rain for half an hour or so and got damp and dirty planting my chrysanthemum and begonia. They are safely in the ground now where I will let nature take it's course rather than watch them wither in their pots under my not so green thumbed tendance. I'm good with palms and pot plants that aren't needy, but anything with flowers and the neglect soon takes its toll. I think it may have been too late for the Christmas lily, but I'm hoping it will make a come back later in the year.

I was really looking forward to this show but it looks like you're bailing on me Jimmy (double hard bastard my ass) so I think I will rent some classics, wash my hair and eat some icecream. It kind of disturbs me how appealing this actually sounds, and how glad I am that I'll be in fine form to go to the vegetable market early in the morning. Shucks.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi I caught a fish and ate it today. The sea was rough and it rained but it was fun. Hope you didn't plant them plants over the daffidol bulbs that are already in there. Guess they can grow up between them and look good.

     
  • At 8:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    also i like how it is two days before christmas.

     
  • At 9:33 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Ummmm, I thought those little stems of grass looked a little ummmm - bulby. Shit i'm sorry. Should I move the plants and pretend it never happened? Also I have no idea what the hell you're talking about, two days before Xmas?

     
  • At 9:34 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Also I like how I knew it was you as soon as I read Hi I caught a fish and ate it today by your style of writing. why don't you post as your seahorse?
    I read it!
    Love ya miss ya bye.

     
  • At 11:33 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Yeah well I just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's and it is better than all of those movies combined. Not that i've seen any of them. But I'm standing by that.

     
  • At 1:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The date on your blog says 23 of December

     

Post a Comment

<< Home