April 03, 2005

episode two

It was unbelievable to wake on the cold hard ground on the second day and see sunlight through the fabric of our tent. I dragged everything out to dry, pack, travel outfit (oh i love the applicability of dnd references) including my precious runners that had never had occasion to get soiled, apart from the odd sojourn round Wellington or through the Botanical Gardens, until the previous day. And now they were muddy! Sorry, I'm quite attached to inaminate objects at the moment. My sneakers, my Swiss ball, my jade plant. It may be the lack of animated objects in my life to give affection to at present. Oh, boo fucking hoo, Miss Independence can't make up her mind.

Speaking of which I emailed Mark (ex) for the first time in a couple of months today. Just cause. I gave him a brief rundown of what I had been up to, he reciprocated adding the nice little titbit about him having been to Sydney for the new love in his life's mother's 50th, and that was it. Very clinical, probably not that necessary anymore.

Sorry, I'm having trouble staying on topic. I think it's when you feel obligated to get something down, so you have a record of it, it kind of makes it like homework. Ya know?

I'll keep it curt.

It was kind of unnerving but all the other campers seemed to have cleared out first light and we pretty much had Anchorage to ourselves. I found out from the Ranger that it was because the weather prediction was for showers mid-afternoon and we had a tidal-dependant crossing to make at some point on the way to the next stop - Bark Bay. But we got the crossing times fucked up the whole trip, and today would be no exception. I'm not quite sure how we managed that with our down to the minute itinerary, but we did. So we took the high road (high tide route), which I think added a bit of time on, but the weather held and when we got to Bark Bay it was still and warm. Three of us went for a swim after we'd pitched the tents. Although it was early evening and on the cooler side of invigorating, it was sublime to wash away the sweat and just soak up having this paradasaical beach almost to ourselves. A world away from Oriental Bay, that's for sure...

The four of us were in pretty high spirits after that and I remember there being a lot of giggles as we ate our evening meal. I think this was in part attributable to the sewage facility or whatever the hell it was smack bang in the middle of the campsite which Sarah quickly decided smelt like cauliflower, I think the euphemism helped her deal with it. I love people dealing with shit through humour. (Excuse the pun, it honestly wasn't deliberate,) We were also amused by the two German boys with no apparent olfactory ability who pitched their tent almost on top of it.

Unfortunately even on this blissful night, it was dark by 7, but the moon was full, and while the others read or puzzled by torchlight (my new torch straight from the Kathmandu sale which had new batteries and was working perfectly when i tested it the night before we left did not go the entire trip), I sauntered off down to the beach on my own where a bunch of kids were playing spotlight. I was entertained for awhile positioning myself to confuse the one doing the spotting, but strangely enough didn't get invited to join in. I was just about to head off to bed, when I discovered a most exquisitely simple thing. I almost don't want to share it. I think it is the stuff of fairytales, not pixietales. And this post is already so long, perhaps I will save it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home