March 14, 2005

Blueberries are antioxidants

I had some organic ones that Sarah and Mark picked themselves on my cereal this morning. I feel like I need them. God I'm tired of cancer, it's prevalence, trying to be philosophical about it. The blueberries are nice though. Yep. Nice.

Oh shit. I'm not even really down. It's not even my story. May be a bit tired. The whole flat, (maybe the whole of Wellie) were rudely awoken at just after four this morning by another quake. I hate that feeling, ripped from sleep, lying in bed thinking do I need to move, is it going to escalate, should I go to the doorway? Then it's over. 6.1. That's pretty big.

Oh crap, I can't be bothered.

I genuinely love those intimate moments you have with strangers, exchanging an understanding look or the briefest of pleasantries. A narrow flight of stairs, a small child's antics or an overly friendly dog (and suddenly two strangers are connected in this great big crazy universe, and you are some how more whole, uplifted, a better person, for a simple, fleeting experience.

The stairs: Old man edging his way slowly down, me bounding down behind him, him frantically climbing up the wall to get out of my way, me "don't worry, i'm in no hurry", him "well I am dear, so don't hold me up". Ridiculous giggling on my part.

Small child: Chain store of womens clothing, me not really interested, just doing the laps and trying to remember the last new item of clothing i bought (I can't, it bores me and has done for a long time now). Mother browsing, small girl amusing herself by swinging the hanging skirts that umbrella over her, I walk by, and whack!! Mother turns round just in time to see the little girl slap me on the ass. "Caitlyn!" or some equally popular name, I dunno. The mother feigns outrage, but I can tell by her eyes she's busting to laugh, and I'm kind of impressed by the kids bravado. Pretty sure I didn't pull that shit when I was little.

Friendly dog: Not much to tell, just a cute oldish lady walking her cute fluffy dog and the dog just about floors me when I'm running trying to get a pat. Apparently they never get that far on their walks as it turns into one big ordeal of affection. But I've got a bit more bounce in my step when I leave them.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:17 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Just a friend's mum. It's okay.

     
  • At 6:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're sweet.

    .g

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger Jessie said…

    It's not always mums. It's quite often sons, or daughters, or grandparents, or friends, or husbands, or wives.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home