April 18, 2005

Strange and wonderful life

I think sometimes the best days aren't necessarily the ones where everything goes completely to plan. I've had a day of good and bad in palatable balance, and feel gratifyingly filled up for living it.

Finally feeling like I'm sorting shit out at work and not walking round with the I'm fresh out of Uni aura about me. Quite pleased with some of the stuff I did today, and saw very little of my boss, although I'm establishing that the best way to handle her is a slightly more articulated version of how I would handle my little brother.

8pm and I'm sitting in the Occidental between a red-haired bombshell probably a few years older than me with a fairly drafty glass of feijoa 42 below that I recommended, and a man who probably saw the better part of last century and reminds me unnervingly of my grandma. I think it's the unkempt Bohemian intellectual thing they both have going on. He's sipping lemonade. I appreciate the bar isn't particularly quiet and he may be having trouble hearing our conversation (no way he's having trouble hearing the red head, I'm loving her) but the Bohemian relic is leaning in to me a little too much. Perhaps he has got tired of a century of holding himself up. We are also talking with a man who's eyes bug out when he talks and a couple of other nondescript people at our table, and the rest of the group are at the table opposite, a bunch of 40 something men talking animatedly over their pints. I feel like they are trying not to look at us, well in particular the red head, she is very engaging and becoming increasingly loud. I've only just met her and you know how some people unleash the extrovert in you simply by being their reserved and measured selves, well this gal's making me feel like a shrinking violet, but I'm flattered by the attention she is giving me. Real touchy feely and laughing constantly while we talk. One of the men across from us reminds me of a fish, his lips and something slimey they do when he looks at me. I've become interested in a guy a bit further round the group and with his back to me. Not that i've ever been that ambitious in climbing a corporate ladder or bothered with networking but I have this gut instinct I'm meant to charm him.

Shit it's almost midnight. Sitting here listening to Muse, Sing for Absolution. Been listening to them a lot lately.....

3 Comments:

  • At 8:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Muse, eh? ;)
    .g

     
  • At 1:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't get your panties in a bunch, Jimmy. Occidental's are humans too and can be friends with and friends of peoples all over the world.
    .g

     
  • At 12:12 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Okay so apparently we have a bit of a misunderstanding. The Occidental is a Pub that is probably a bit wanky for Jimmy's liking. He isn't dissing out the entire population of Europe and America! I'm hoping panties are all unbunched for everyone involved and my reading of the situation isn't overly simplified.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home