April 17, 2005

Water Baby

In a much better frame of mind now. I have had a swim and a snorkel today (no wetsuit), and it is mid-Autumn!!! Wellington is a star - the entire weekend has been exquisite weather wise. And as ridiculous as it could sounds to locals, I snorkelled in Oriental Bay! Josie went out a bit deeper while I snorkelled round a baby reef (is it a reef if it's man made, i'm sure it is?) and there were heaps of fish, admittedly of the same variety, and plenty of jelly fish that I kept head butting. Wasn't too keen on the head butting. Lauren assures me the jellies probably found it more disconcerting. I have my doubts, seeing as they are jellyish and, I wouldn't have thought that cognitively developed.

Other reasons I am feeling quite pleased with myself right now, I have at least tried phoning Dad this weekend, even left a chirpy message. Yesterday I walked all along Oriental Bay, past Baleana and kept going to Evans and finally Lyall. I lay on a silky patch of sand and let the sound of the ocean giving the shore (and some surfers) a good thrashing massage my soul. Then I got a bit lost in Lyall Bay, then I got a bit lost climbing up Mt Vic (ended up in someones backyard at one point), but then I found Constable Street and walked through Newtown right up round Te Aro and then home. All in all, was gone for about 5 hours. I was completely shattered last night, had a terrible sleep the night before (mostly alcohol related).

All the time I have spent in/around the ocean this weekend has led me to appreciate how much I need it. I believe it may be my panacea of choice, particularly for blues related malady. Even trumping chocolate (although using both simultaneously is probably going to be most effective.)

A good friend asked me recently why I have been questioning my motivations so much lately (I'm paraphrasing), and I think it was very observant, and well, the answer is I don't entirely know. A phase? I AM desperately trying to appreciate that I'm not necessarily a flake/bad person because I lose the plot and momentarily regress and indulge in those angsty self-involved teenage traits I so desperately wish to avoid carrying into adulthood. But I think it's a matter of taking responsibility for these (hopefully rare) occassions, which I've never done all that constructively, and not feeling sorry for myself when I'm the one who has fucked up. Sounds brilliant in theory.

I'm going to see Motorcycles Diaries tonight. I've been wanting to see it for ages.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    At Rialto. Was REALLY good! The subtitles were sometimes the same colour as the background which would have been a bit annoying, had I not been content to stare at Che.

     
  • At 12:04 pm, Blogger Jessie said…

    Mmm.. have you seen him in Y Tu Mama Tambien? Another good movie.

     
  • At 9:46 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    Oh yes, I have seen that, but I hadn't clicked it was him. He's much more inspiring as Che than a horny teenager though. It is that one yeah, not that horrible one with the dog fights?

     
  • At 10:17 am, Blogger Jessie said…

    Yeah, no dog fightes in Y Tu Mama..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home