February 01, 2006

A dragonfly only lives for 24 hours

Or maybe less. I dressed up at one of our parties, Halloween themed, but only Bear and I really dressed up. Oh, and the now expectant parents. Who weren't expecting back then. Who now think they could be having twins. But anyway, I dressed up as a gypsy fortune teller, it was when I first chopped off my hair, but I liked it that time, and I'd just bought my bbq, Lauren was turning 24. I wore the bottom half of that dress that i bought that was kind of chinesey, but knit at the top, and puffy and silky at the bottom. Except not silk. I dunno maybe polyester.

So I was a fortune teller, so first I needed a tent. Some fabric draped from the ceiling over the back of our couch. And some dim lighting. And some tarot cards. A sultry mysterious voice. Rather than using the book accompanying the cards (I didn't want to look like a novice) I just made stuff up. And I abused the intimate knowledge I had of my friends and their lives to tell them what I really thought in a mystical and guiding way.

My crazy old flatmate was still in NZ that night instead of in Columbia where she's been for awhile, and I told her some shit about the dragonfly only being on earth for a very short time and making the most of life. Which was kind of mean, when I think about it, as you could interpret that as meaning pretty soon you're going to die. But i just meant it to be motivating. She got really psyched about it, thought that I could see the future (hey, I'm pretty convincing when i want to be) and then got quite mad when she realised I was a phoney.

I think I had a point though.

Mr Bear has got a scholarship to a Canadian College. So he will be whisking Bear off with him towards Spring (September). And my little flat will be broken up. And I will go overseas for eleven weeks, and come back and they might have gone. And who will live in the little room down the hall then?

I alluded to the dragonfly, because it seems to me that things are speeding up, that a six week summer holiday when I was a child is now just a morning at work. I'm 25 going on 30 going on 40 going on 50. My mum didn't even make it past 44.

It makes you think. (sorry for the crappy Victoria University reference. The photo is where I went to school. It's not all this pretty.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:16 am, Blogger Mandy said…

    >A dragonfly only lives for 24 hours

    But it packs a hell of a lot of living into them

     
  • At 5:09 pm, Blogger Pix said…

    don't be ridiculous. It's a beautiful photo. And no one would even know it was you if you didn't say anything....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home