January 31, 2006

And because i hate to sermonize


Here is another photo of Jacob. You can see what he did not get for Christmas.

The smacking thing is also interesting me, because of the very small parenting practice I have had with him. And although I haven't smacked him lots, he's much too old now anyway even if i wasn't changing my views on it, i did once, we were at the beach, and he ran full tilt into the water fully clothed, maybe even a nappy on, and i chased him and gave him a sharp whack on his little arm. And he stopped in shock. And I looked at him in horror. I was mad. I was frustrated. I lashed out. But was that necessarily the best way to alter his future behavioural patterns. And does my acting in that way encourage him to respect me anymore.

He brought it up, months later, in his funny little old soul way. And it just devastated me that he remembered it the way that he did. Not in a "i was naughty and so i got a smack" way. but in a "Bridie you totally lost your cool that day" way. And he was so tiny. But they know.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:53 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said…

    It must be tough. I got the odd smack. I usually deserved it, and it taught me to respect my parents authority.

     
  • At 3:45 am, Blogger Lavinia said…

    That is an angel child. He seems like such a sweetheart.

    My mom has forgotten that she smacked my little brother and I when we were preteens. Its funny but she totally denies it (and smiles).

    My bro is now 16 I'm 21. Mom was never anything near abusive but she just let us know when we were out of line.

    My 8-year-old sister is a monster which I totally blame on the lack of occassional smacks. The tantrums, swearing and utter lack of respect for elders are something we didn't even dream of at age 8.

     
  • At 5:00 am, Blogger The Douros said…

    The little one is a cracker!

    Smacking is something that adults do because it is easier to smack than to bring up. Discipline can be taught without it, but it is a lot harder for the adult in the relationship. And this is why the respect gained without smacking is a lot stronger and it runs a lot deeper.

    As the little one put it very accurately: Use of force is something that you do when you lose your cool. It is something you do because you are weak, and because you have no real leadership skill.

    And it is something you do because you are a coward. Something you stop doing when the child grows into a young adult with a level of physical strength that is equivalent to yours, at which point you no longer dare do it for fear of retaliation.

    You know when the damage has been done when the person grows up into the kind of adult who believes he/she deserved it all. This is what fear does to people.

    If there is anything you can do to stop it, go for it!

     
  • At 10:22 am, Blogger Martha Craig said…

    Good on you. The problem with smacking is

    a) it doesn't make children behave better unless you really beat the crap out of them, and then you've destroyed their wee souls, and

    b) it makes you feel like a useless parent for losing it in the first place.

    I think people are paranoid that they're going to be sent to jail for giving the kiddies a biff, but actually, if anyone sees you give your kid a wee smack on the arse for running in front of a car, they'll understand.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home