June 19, 2005

How much would we need to tip the pizza delivery boy?

I don't really do 'organised' that well. I trust that things will just fall in to place and usually get by winging it. The success of last evening could mostly be attributed to the innate organisational genius of Laurie. That, Sarah's purple dress and mojito-making, Sardine-flavoured jelly beans, Nicholas Cage and a dozen phallic renderings (he was all the video-store boy could provide at the last minute). Oh and a dash of serious consumption - that circle of death/i have never ever hybrid was inspired. And lethal.

No stripper. Although the pizza delivery guy and I had a moment when someone yelled from the top of the stairs was he going to come up and dance for us. He would have sufficed. More appropriate than the fireman Laurie had previously suggested.

I enjoyed the fact that a pair of fluffy blood-red lined handcuffs got pulled out for use for the first time in a long while. Such a shame, they really are a lovely pair. Emma read me my horoscope while I was blowing up the better part of 25 pink balloons before the girls started arriving and it was unusually specific and alarmingly relevant and it pretty much told me that I would have my life together....by June 2007. I've decided that means I shouldn't fall in love until after then. 27 is a good age. I pulled out a good one in the game..."I have never ever been in a relationship in the last week". Took out all but two of us.

I just don't know how people can hook up in town. Like I was pretty boozed. And at one stage these relatively cute guys danced drunkenly in to our midst, and the one that didn't keep shouting 'tough crowd' at us, (well mostly at one of the girls who was completely wasted (I knew because she had been whispering conspiratorially to me to that effect since about 9 that evening). She looked decidely unimpressed with the boys' antics, or her hiccups, or something. Becky very kindly offered me up as the sacrificial lamb by clarifying I wasn't one of the hens. This was after 'tough crowd' boy had gone round the group trying to guess the hens and had pointed at me and said "married, definitely married". Perhaps I have some pious visage I pull out in those situations. (And by pious I guess I mean tightass) But his quieter friend introduced himself, and asked if i wanted a drink (I genuinely didn't, or couldn't, at that stage) and did all the things i guess the boy is supposed to do. But I just couldn't think of anything less romantic than hooking up with a stranger in that kind of environment. I'm too old. And what about meningitis! I'm actually painfully shy sometimes..... So I just danced my little heart out. (The diva dance floor is great, wooden and not sticky and not smelling like piss like the lab, god what cigarettes used to mask!).

It was the best party we have had here in my opinion. The fortune telling/meat game affair would be up there for me. But last night everyone was so relaxed and it was great having Awhina back and I spent the night crying with laughter, but at the same time it was emotional, you know. We are all so "growed up". I like that I look around at these girls who I have been friends with since I first came to Wellington seven years ago and think...yes, I definitely want to be doing these kind of things with you all for a long time to come. And I feel excited for those of them that are starting this amazing new chapter in their lives with some very nice young men.

I should think about packing.....

1 Comments:

  • At 7:06 am, Blogger Pix said…

    Oh, I'm just being silly. I think....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home