July 11, 2005

Gavel this - phobia

I'm totally psyched and inspired and motivated and empowered. And just generally feeling pleased with myself. I very nearly won. That's what he said. Me. I know it's small fish for a lot of people, but it just shocked the hell out of me. A senior lecturer at Vic, I beat him, and a whole lot of others who I think are awesome. I nearly went to the freakin regionals.

And then the self-doubt creeps in and I think, the guy that I'm "meant" to charm, well I've succeeded and that's all it is. But I'll smother that feeling for now, long enough to gloat. And maybe try and cash it in to get me that dream job.

The down side to the evening was I may have jeopardised all future opportunities with the gavel, having brought it down with just the slightest too much enthusiasm at one stage during the evening causing everyone to nearly leap out of their skin. Which is very uncharacteristic for me. I'm infamous for not shutting car doors properly. And just generally being frail. Well that infamy can fuck off.

Yay!

Oh yes Becksta I haven't forgotten our adventure. Just need some time to do it justice.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:06 am, Blogger David said…

    I'm confused... are you talking about a gavel banging competition?

    What sort of sport is that?

     
  • At 10:35 am, Blogger Pix said…

    Ha Ha, no I’m not that much of a geek. It was an impromptu speech competition and the gavel was an ad hoc solution to the time keeping equipment being locked away in a cupboard downstairs. Why do you share a blog? That's pretty cute.

     
  • At 10:11 pm, Blogger David said…

    Ah... so you were given a little bit of authority and it turned you in to a gavel banging monster. Nice!

    Mandy was going to look after my blog while I was away for a few weeks. I didn't think I was going to have net access. And it meant that the blog wouldn't look sad and abandoned, like a town in a Western film with tumbledweed bouncing down the street. But Mandy writes better than I do (as she should, since she's a journalist), so she has sort of moved in.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home