July 24, 2005


Dad wishes I'd been born a boy. If not me, then perhaps my 22 year old sister, and if not her, my 17 year old sister.

The 22 year old was more outgoing and tougher than I was as a kid, so I guess she filled the gap a bit. On the life-style block in Bethlehem, Tauranga where we grew up, this tiny red-haired tot would keep pace with his six foot strides, moving the cows and doing farm shit. In comparison, I was always dripping round on my own writing songs or poetry or reading, and I nearly turned myself inside out whenever I stumbled across a still born calf or a chicken that had been savaged by the dog.

I was a mummy's girl until the two of them split when I was 12, and I don't have any defined sense of a relationship with dad until I hit the teens and entered this five-year long hormone-induced psychosis. Dad seemed to relate better to the fact that I was trying to assert some independence and liked engaging me on an 'intellectual' level, whereas mum wanted me to shut my yap and stay a kid and it took years before she could relate to me on a woman-to-woman level (I guess nobody should be expected to relate to a little bitch).

I have got older, got a boyfriend neither dad nor stepmum really liked (I didn't find out the full extent of this dislike until it ended almost six years later), and gone to Uni and got even more vocal with my beliefs. And Dad and I seem to piss each other off these days. We hover at different ends of the political spectrum with dire consequences at the dinner table almost every time we get together. Which isn't so often these days; I live in Wellington and they live in the far north. We went out for dinner last night, not quite a family unit with Chile sis leaving a huge gap, and perhaps to avoid confrontation, Dad sat and talked engines and motor racing with Auckland sis's boyf for the entire evening. I guess I could have moved seats and tried to join in, but I'm stubborn as fuck, and instead consoled myself by eating an exorbitant amount of food as I tried to identify a particular source to the cooling in relations. When things bother me, I tell people. When I'm angry or upset, I tell people. This usually happens without much thought between the emotion and the response. I shouldn't have called him an ignorant red-neck that time, no matter how heated the debate was getting, and I should call more often, even though he rarely calls me. And I shouldn't sulk just cause I don't like motor sports or follow rugby closely and there is only so far a conversation beginning with "So how's Wellington?" can go.

At least I have managed to impress the little bro by getting the PS2 to work. Ha ha, he just stood in Boo's crap. Culprit above left looking suitably repentant.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:28 pm, Blogger David said…

    I hate to say this, but your little brother looks an awful lot like a dog.

    Maybe it is time he had a haircut?

     
  • At 10:01 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    On a more helpful note... ;-)
    I’d mug up on rugby if I were you. You don’t have to like it, just learn enough to start a civilised conversation and ask intelligent questions now and again. He should appreciate that you are making an effort, be glad of a sympathetic audience, and happy to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.
    And if he starts on politics, ignore it and ask: “How’s Aunt Maude these days?” I’d also suggest: “What’s the forecast for tomorrow?” but maybe it’s only Brits who can talk for hours about the weather as a ‘safe’ topic of conversation.

     
  • At 10:01 am, Blogger Pix said…

    Hmmmm, dare I say it David, in light of the recent birthday ending with an '0', but do you think it might be time to have your eyes tested? It IS a dog! She's part chihuahua, part japanese chin, and thinks she is a princess.

    Thanks Mandy, I actually don't mind watching the odd game and could work on that (might be nice to have that as a resource when I go overseas too), but I don't think it's lack of conversation topics that's the problem. I think you hit the nail on the head with the "ignore it" bit. I'm bloody useless at letting things slide and too oversensitive for my own good and he (like most men in my life) has a knack for winding me up.

    I don't think the weather thing is Brit-specific. Every phonecall I have with him will undoubtedly touch on the rain in northland and the wind in wellington.

     
  • At 1:26 am, Blogger Cece Martinez said…

    Dang that dog is cute.

    Dads take time. I'm 31 and I just barely started to appreciate my dad for the incredible person he is rather than wishing he wasn't the exasperating person that he is. We're just really lucky to even have dads.

    Give yours a big hug!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home