June 02, 2006

Sally lost on the sub...

So we've moved to a backpackers that is a million times better than our hotel. And we've got a great afternoon planned for our last one in the big apple. Sally and I are off to the Metropolitan museum of art.. Well, first we were going to check our emails here at apple land. And on the sub she starts telling me this amusing story about the time Joe hit her in the eye. Well, it was accidentally of course.
Sally: I think this might be our stop (in her measured, she'll be right kind of way)
Me: oh shit!

What happens next is in retrospect, not as funny as i found it at the time. I leapt off my seat and out on to the platform. I turned around to see a sad faced sally waving at me through the window as she was whisked off to the next stop. I'm giggling. It's comical. And i finally feel as if i'm starting to fit in to this crazy land as the people around me stare at me quizzically while i laugh to myself. And then i sit. And wait. And wait some more. And she doesn't come back.

So if you weren't me, and you were sensible, you'd have jumped on the next sub to catch up to her right. And that's what i'm sure she was thinking. Unfortunately, my first instinct was to wait for her to turn around and come back to the right stop. By the time i figured out i was probably meant to be the one doing the moving, and then moved, it had all gone horribly wrong. I couldn't see her lanky frame anywhere. And she wasn't here at the apple shop where we planned to go next. And so I went to the Met alone thinking we'd catch each other up.

It was amazing. Probably a day or two's worth to see rather than an afternoon. 15 minutes before closing i sat out at what i hope was the sole entrance and waited to see her emerge. I waited half an hour. And still no Sally. She probably got carted out to Queens where she was mugged and left without her memory and now i will have to go to the crazy little precinct in times square and say i lost my friend.

Okay, i'll try our hostel. I need a wine.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope Joe isn't reading this...

     
  • At 1:52 pm, Blogger David said…

    That's the second reference to Queens as a dangerous subway destination. I thought Queens was quite suburban, in a New York high density ethnic neighbourhood sort of way. You're not thinking of the South Bronx, by any chance?

     
  • At 2:25 am, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said…

    I thought queens was full of African princes hunting for their brides.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home